Today is Day 30 with the LiveFit Program:: chest, abs, & cardio. I've been loving 'Phase Two' so far, but then againnn it's only been 2 days....It's been nice to switch up the weight training exercises. Jamie is slowly incorporating new terms in the program, today's is a "negative set." I have explained a bit more below, but first here's today's workout::
For the barbell bench press, of the 5 sets you do:
- 1 warm-up set
- 3 regular sets
- 1 set of negatives
Doing a negative set allows you to use more weight than you normally would, making this an awesome technique to build strength. The weight you are pushing/pulling is at an amount that is more than you could push/pull doing a normal set.
For example, if you are doing a negative bench press, you would start with the weight in the top position holding the bar with your arms straight out. This means, you start the exercise position at the end point rather than the beginning point. (Hence the term: negative) You then lower the weight in a steady controlled motion down to your chest, where you would typically start this exercise. Because you are dealing with a negative set, and the weight is more than you could handle on your own, you will need a partner to help return the weight back to the top position.
I don't have a gym partner, but there are still ways to achieve a negative set! I chose to use my own body weight by doing the chin up exercise. Instead of pulling myself up, I slowly lowered myself down to engage the negative motion. This still had an effect on the chest muscles I was targeting. For another description you can find my bench press exercise here. Refer to method 3: "Standing Up On Something."
I decided to do 20 minutes on the stationary bike. Phase Two calls for 30 minutes of cardio, (4 days a week) but I'm still easing myself back into working out since I'm still recovering from being sick this week. Look at me go, taking it easy...go me. The relaxing thing might come more naturally than I thought...but I'm not making any promises....or bets.
The stationary bike is really good for me as I had knee surgery August 2011. It's take a while to build back legs muscles! It's been a slow and steady process, but the bike has always been my go-to. It's not the most fun of cardio, but you need to do what's good for you!
PWO: Post-Workout fuel
Berry Smoothie w/ a shot of 'Immunity'...woah are we on 'Survivor?'
As you inhale, think about where your breath is going. Expand into your ribs, back, stomach, chest, and lungs. (This also helps with relaxing...OKAY OKAY I took note of it.)
As you exhale pull your belly button in while keeping an upright posture, feeling tall, elongating everything. (Something I do often...small person reference.) This engages your core and creates the power for lifting weights.
When lifting weights there are 2 parts to every exercise. The challenging part where you are pushing or pulling the weights, and the other part where you are returning the weight back to the starting position.
2 parts to lifting weights, 2 parts to your breathing- inhale and exhale. Ideally, you want to combine the two.






Great information! Thanks for sharing. Today's workout looks awesome!
ReplyDeleteI love sharing and collabing with others, no problem, and thanks for stopping by!
Delete