Sloppy Joe's are an American classic. I never thought I'd have to explain what a sloppy joe was, but another fun reason why you should date someone from another country! "A ground-up messy burger between a bun," is about as in-depth as I could explain it. He then went on to quote me in my "American accent," always so funny to hear, you don't even realize how you sound until someone imitates you, orrr you could always listen to yourself on someone's voice-mail.
I make American dishes as much as possible here, helps me feel closer to home. See my American Style Pumpkin Pie creation here I made for Thanksgiving.
You can't find ground turkey often here in NZ so a lot of the time when I made food that require ground meat, it's ground beef. Side-note: ground beef is called mince meat here. Another international food fact for ya! Not the most healthy version, but I was told NZ cow's are treated really well, feed better which makes the beef higher quality....who knows. I won't be making a trip out to a farm anytime soon to check up on that fact so I try to avoid eating "mince" too often. Not a huge red meat lover anyways.
I saw this recipe on the blog chocolate covered katie you can find it here. It's clean, it's easy, it's bomb, highly suggest trying it out!
My ingredients are a tad different than Katie's due to what I had on hand but didn't make a different in the taste, holler!
Ingredients//
- 1 can lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp crushed garlic
- 1 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 sweete packets
- 14 oz tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 onion (diced)
Can you believe I've never had a sloppy joe?!
ReplyDelete