My day started on an iHerb HIGH, and no not what you're initial thought is, iHerb is an amazing company that ships internationally all kinds of whole foods, beauty products, supplements, evennnnn **drum roll** peanut butter. YES! Addicted yes. A company I'm sure you are familiar with: peanut butter & co. based in NY has amazing FLAVORS OF PB. (All caps is totally necessary.) They don't ship internationally directly from their site, but iHerb does....why is it that most things beginning in i rule? Apple. Check out the site, google it, you'll find it, it's amazing...and I mayyy be hooked already. Ok I am.
Yes that is Almonds, Sea Salt & Dark Choc. you see, and YES I just ate about a third of it. Shipped in from the US, it tasted like home, and love, and goodness all in one with a tad bit of salt.
YES.
Am I getting paid to say Yes?
No.
**Please note the 3 kinds of PB. oops.
Now that we are all high on the thought of ordering 10 different kinds of PB from all over the world in one click of a button...orr is that just me? I want to introduce you to my friend, and one of my favorite readers ALEX from The Run Within.
I've invited her to do a post feature on ways she works with being a celiac. I know this affects a wide variety of the population in all kinds of forms, but here are some insights from my hilarious fellow blogger, Alex. I hope you enjoy, and if you have any questions Alex left her contact details below to answer any Q's! Enjoy!
"I was pretty darn excited when Jess emailed me
asking for a guest post. Normally my guest posts don’t really talk a whole
about being Celiac, this is actually the first where I have discussed my
diagnosis. Exciting stuff – look at you Jess pushing me out of my comfort zone.
I didn’t always avoid gluten. I was a gluten
loving girl since I was younger. Hand me the bread, pretzels, chips, you name
it. However, my digestion was always off. Doctors would say it was stress, they
would say it was normal, they would give me fiber tablets after fiber tablets
quickly followed by Imodium. Not fun at all. Celiac was not a big diagnosis at
that time.
So what made the final push to get tested? I started developing major stomach issues. Stomach issues that went from one time pain to lingering pain. A problem with ahem 'going' whether it was too much or too little. A rash started to cover my upper back and neck. I was lucky enough at the time to be working with a nutritionist who finally had me tested. The diagnosis began a new lifestyle that started out as intimidating but soon became a way of life.
So what can’t I eat… Barley (this includes malt, malt flavoring and malt vinegar), rye, triticale (cross between wheat and rye), bulgar, durum flour, farina, graham flour, kamut, semolina and spelt. The problem with being allergic to gluten, is that of products have gluten in them without necessarily containing that ‘wheat’ ingredient in the label. For example, sauces (soy sauce is a no no), salad dressings, processed lunch meat, candies, French fries, imitation seafood or meat, soups and soup bases, and snack foods. I have to be so careful when it comes to reading labels but it is just something I have gotten used to in the last three or so years.
So what made the final push to get tested? I started developing major stomach issues. Stomach issues that went from one time pain to lingering pain. A problem with ahem 'going' whether it was too much or too little. A rash started to cover my upper back and neck. I was lucky enough at the time to be working with a nutritionist who finally had me tested. The diagnosis began a new lifestyle that started out as intimidating but soon became a way of life.
So what can’t I eat… Barley (this includes malt, malt flavoring and malt vinegar), rye, triticale (cross between wheat and rye), bulgar, durum flour, farina, graham flour, kamut, semolina and spelt. The problem with being allergic to gluten, is that of products have gluten in them without necessarily containing that ‘wheat’ ingredient in the label. For example, sauces (soy sauce is a no no), salad dressings, processed lunch meat, candies, French fries, imitation seafood or meat, soups and soup bases, and snack foods. I have to be so careful when it comes to reading labels but it is just something I have gotten used to in the last three or so years.
The big thing though is that eating gluten free
does not have to be depriving. I know people think gluten free equals no carbs
but that is anything but true. I still enjoy variety in my diet because
without it, then yes eating gluten free would be hard. I have to say it took a
while to get used to eating this way. What helped was reaching out, connecting
to those who were celiac or had a lot of knowledge about it.
I hope anyone who has questions will email me at therunwithin@gmail.com. I always
love spreading what I have learned to others in need."



thanks lady for featuring me! You have sold me on iherb, I will be heading over there tonight. I keep saying I will do it but it is time to bite the bullet and order some stuff.
ReplyDelete