Feb 1, 2013

Chicken Bean Carrot Goodness (low-carb)


Strange but good...this can relate to many things in my life but most importantly F O O D. Laura over at Sprint 2 the Table hosts a 'Strange but Good" linkup every week and I'd have to say...it's definitely one of my favorite link ups::
  1. Cause I can relate
  2. It's nice to know there are others out there that love weird stuff like me
Check out my other strange but good creations here and here..oh ya and here.

Before I begin the recipe...I must ask...
  1. Do you like chicken? (protein...nod your head)
  2. Do you like beans? (wait...do I want to know? I just asked if you liked them, not what happens to you after you have them! Bad joke? Hmmm I try..)
  3. Do you like carrots? (AKA do ya like your sight? Yes it helps your vision)
Good all sorted.

Ingredients//
  • 5 oz. boneless skinless chicken breast
  • 2 giant carrots
  • 1 can of garbanzo beans
  • 1 can of kidney beans
  • 2 tbsp greek yogurt for topping
  • 3 egg whites
  • 1 tsp(ish) of minced garlic
  • EVOO
  • Canola cooking spray
Chicken Directions//
  1. Trim chicken breast fat off 
  2. Cut into strips
  3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
  4. Crack and separate the eggs, putting the egg whites into a bowl
  5. Put the garlic into the bowl of egg whites
  6. Dip the trimmed chicken into the egg white garlic mixture
  7. Line a baking sheet with tin foil
  8. Spray the baking sheet with canola spray
  9. Place the dipped checking strips onto the sheet
  10. Put into the oven 
  11. Cook for 20-ish minutes, checking half-way through



Carrot Directions//
  1. Skin carrots with a... "skin-peeler?" whatever it's called..
  2. Cut the carrots into long sticks
  3. Dip the carrots into the extra virgin olive
  4. Spray roasting pan with canola oil & place carrots onto a roasting sheet 
  5. Cook for 20-23 minutes, checking half-way through& flip them to roast both sides


Bean Directions//
  1. Boil both cans of beans in water 
  2. That's it.
  3. Can you handle that?
  4. I just wanted to add a few more steps.

Once all items are cooked//
  1. Lay the bottom of a bowl with a portion of beans
  2. Place 3-4 chicken strips in the bowl
  3. Throw on some carrots (adds some nice color! See thanks to carrots you can actually see them even clearer!) Roasted carrots are one of my favorite veggies
  4. Optional: 2 tbsp greek yogurt on top
This meal is low-carb:: ~10g


Improvements & Suggestions//
  • Make a tin-foil tent, closed at the top, to lock in flavor and keep the chicken moist (Is that a word everyone hates? Or just my sister?....called out.)
  • Add lemon juice, and herbs of your choice on top of chicken for some added flavor:: Oregano, & basil are always safe, great choices
  • I will probably coat the chicken with a clean breading option, but didn't have anything at the time
  • Beans suffice as the carb in this meal but if you need higher carb options for high-carb workout days think about adding sweet potato, brown rice, or even a piece of wholewheat toast
Today I had an excellent workout, Day 59 for the livefit trainer:: Chest & Shoulders. I'm loving the high intensity, high movement workouts so far in phase three.

My shoulders are already feeling sore, SCORE! Although, it could be from the massive grocery haul I did after work and carried them home like a pack-mule. Yes even lugged them onto the bus...I was 'the bag lady' on board most def.

4 comments:

  1. You crack me up... thanks for the steps on the beans. ;) Carrots are my favorite so I will definitely be trying this one. And I need to make those muffins still! Thank you so much for linking up again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love linking up, thanks for reading! Always here to give ya the full steps!

      Delete
  2. that does sound good. i adore carrots.

    ReplyDelete