Jan 11, 2012

We're not in Kansas anymore

Kansas you say? Yeah, try New Zealand. 

Here I am 22 years young and beginning an amazing adventure. I feel really lucky to have this opportunity to finish my education by completing an internship abroad. I always wanted to study abroad, but was too busy in college to take time away from my extra curricular activities, and no, not just all the fun stuff but all the organizations and programs I was involved in operated year-round. What's that you say? Why didn't I go abroad over summer? Well, besides the fact the summer programs cost a fortune, I was not willing to give up working every summer with Chico State's Summer Orientation Program. This was an experience in itself I didn't ever want to end. 

So, I thought, since my degree requires every student graduating from it to complete a 14-week semester long internship with a hospitality emphasis of your choice I knew this would be my chance to get outta town. And when I say get outta town I mean...the country. Don't be fooled now people this is not just any ordinary thing student's do, there are certain things (hoops) you had to complete (jump through) in order to be approved to take on even an out-of-state internship, and here I was wanting to leave the country to do it. I worked hard in building relationships, reaching out for help and getting to know my department and professors. They knew me, my personality, how I worked, what I liked to do, and knew I was capable of representing Chico State out there, in the big bad scary world AKA the "real world." I always laughed when people said, "Oh! You just wait until you get out there in the real world, then you'll know." What do you mean, "real world," dude we are living IN IT. College is real life, real stuff happens so believe it! Can I get a hell yeah? 
Hell yeah!

This blog has been my personal project over the last 5 months while I've been back home recovering from reconstructive knee surgery in August 2011, yes that means it was round 2. Using this as a chance to express my sense of humor on random things, topics, and current events that were going on in my life. Feel free to read through my older posts, not everything  is PG so there is your warning. I hope to keep this blog up while I complete my internship and finish my degree with CHICO STATE. Working, learning, and living in this amazing gorgeous country with the love of my life, Scott. Not everything will be serious....mostly nothing, but there will be some "morals of the story" here and there somewhere. So sit back, relax, and enjoy. 

I hope you can hear my voice as you read this, I want you all to be part of this experience with me.