A couple days ago I turned the ripe young age of 23. Good
thing height doesn’t signify your age because if that were the case I’d
probably be close to 13. It’s not just me; I know some of you are out there
nodding your heads. In fact, when Scott and I traveled up North to the Bay of
Islands on our New Year’s get-a-way we went into this dress shop, and if you
know me, you are well aware of my obsession for dresses. Anyways, the lady
helping me kept handpicking stuff out for me, she said, “You’re so petite! Us
small ones need to stick together!” I couldn’t agree more, and ended up
purchasing 2 summer dresses. (athankyou Scott)
Being the avid observer I am, since being here, I’ve noticed
and learned some new things. I think you will find these two items interesting,
and even humorous.
1. To start off, I learned cops don't carry guns here, not
from an experience I had personally don't worry. Hmm cops without guns--wonder
how that would go down in Oakland. No thank you.
2. Apparently drug stores aka Rite Aid, Walgreens, are
called pharmacies and you actually have to tell the "chemist" what
your symptoms are in order to get meds. I’m going to be quite frank here when I
tell you this inside story. I was going to try and pull of the ol, “oh this is
just for an example,” but let’s be real it wouldn’t be fooling anyone. Anyways,
here I am 13 year old looking American blonde starring at all the items on the
shelves (obviously looking very confused) thinking to myself Where is it, where is it, they have all this
organized so strange, wait, where is any of the meds, enough with all the
sunscreens, all I need is some freaking bathroom aid! I wasn’t lying to you
when I said I was going to be frank. Eventually,
in my state of worry, one of the chemists came up to me and asked if I needed
help. I told her it was pretty embarrassing, she responded with, “Its alright.”
So, I went for it and told her what I needed, she told me I needed to report to
the pharmacist and to wait here at this table. I thought, oh crap everyone is going to know, they are going to hear me, I wonder
if I can just write it down for him, here he comes, no no no, I’m going to run,
nooo my knee, better not run...the man eventually came over after what felt
like a year, he very nice, helped me and I was on my way. It’s easy to assume
every store in other countries (at least the English speaking ones) hold the
same products as the ones in the states. Learned this one quick!
As I adjust to this new lifestyle of mine, I can’t help but
think about my sister Kelsey living in Spain. PROPS to her for living &
studying in a Spanish-speaking country, not many can even leave their place of
birth let alone venture off to a completely foreign place not knowing the
language fluently. She was part of my inspiration to follow-through and take
this experience by the horns, or should I say kiwi legs? Weird.
Stay tuned for my next blog entry: “2012 Highlights Thus
Far”